What Australia Day means to me ...



Australia Day means many things to many different people. But I'm not going to get into those today. 

I'm also going to try to refrain from mentioning the abundance of tackorama merchandise with the Australian flag that replaces the shoddy Christmas paraphernalia that is likewise vomited all over our shops each summer. (Try to).

Each Australia Day, I like to spend it enjoying the lifestyle, landscape and loved ones to which it plays host. 

 Australia Day is also Triple J Hottest 100 Day to me (I'm kinda shallow like that). And around this time I like nothing better than to reflect on the best phrases to music for the year prior. Of course it’s not just the lyrics that make the song. Sometimes it’s a mix of words and melody, tempo, delivery. Or simply the way it makes us feel or the memory it conjures up.


Here are mine for 2013:


Get Lucky
Daft Punk (feat. Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers)

Like the legend of the phoenix
All ends with beginnings
What keeps the planet spinning
The force of love beginning


Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High
 Arctic Monkeys

…Gets harder and harder to get you to listen
More I get through the gears
Incapable of making alright decisions
And having bad ideas


Royals
Lorde

But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom
Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room,
We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
But everybody's like crystal, Maybach, diamonds on your time piece.
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash.
We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair.



You Don’t Know Me
Polyphonic Spree

Don't let the people think they know you
They don't know

You move around, you say goodbye to them
There's always more to you than there are of them




Monster
Eminem

I wanted the fame, but not the cover of Newsweek
Oh well, guess beggers can't be choosey
Wanted to receive attention for my music
Wanted to be left alone, public excuse me
Been wanting my cake, I need it too
Wanting it both ways
Fame may be a balloon cause my ego inflated
When I blew seep it was confusing
Cause all I wanted to do is be the Bruce Lee of loose leaf
Abused ink, used it as a tool when I blew steam




The Wire
Haim

You know there's no rhyme or reason for the way you turned out to be
I didn't go and try to change my mind. not intentionally
I know it's hard to hear me say it but I can't bear to stay and
I just know I know I know I know that you're gonna be OK anyway



Counting Stars
One Republic

Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told

I feel something so right
By doing the wrong thing
And I feel something so wrong
By doing the right thing
I couldn't lie, couldn't lie, couldn't lie
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive


Afterlife
Arcade Fire
And after this
Can it last another night?
After all the bad advice
That had nothing at all to do with life

I’ve gotta know

Can we work it out?
If we scream and shout ’till we work it out
Can we just work it out?
Scream and shout ’till we work it out?



Desert Night 
Rufus
And when the sun comes out, in the morning light 
It can feel you there 

Oh, look at me now, look at me now 
I'm right here 
And as the light spills out and the sleep is here 
You see me there, don't go anywhere 
Go anywhere, wait right here. 



Only One
John Butler Trio


I keep on reading the same chapter
I cannot breathe, holding hiding truth
You always know when just to say let go

To me you are the only one
Who can help unwind my tangled mind
I am the seed but you're the sun
I'm telling anybody tell everybody


There Will Come a Time
Noah and the Whale
One day she'll look at you and say
I never thought I could feel this way
But it's not tonight, no not tonight

There will come a time
Where you will need your friends tonight
There will come a time
Where you will need someone tonight




Popular Posts